Category: Politics | Posted date: 2018-08-16 23:41:41 | Updated date: 2018-08-16 23:54:44 | Posted by: Mercy-Babs News
The Independent National Electoral Commission has banned 23 newly registered political parties from participating in the September 22, 2018 governorship election in Osun State, Nigeria. The commission said the political parties could not meet up with the
The Independent National Electoral Commission has banned 23 newly registered political parties from participating in the September 22, 2018 governorship election in Osun State, Nigeria. The commission said the political parties could not meet up with the deadline for submission of candidates.
The INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, announced this amidst his congratulatory speech to the newly registered parties in Abuja on Thursday just after handing certificates to them.
Prof. Yakubu congratulated them for emerging among 144 applications received by the commission from various associations seeking registration as political parties.
“I wish to congratulate the chairmen and leaders of the new political parties for meeting the criteria enshrined in the constitution for your registration as political parties. Needless to add, from today, you are recognised as political parties under the law”, he said.
At the peak of his message, he told them that none of the 23 newly registered political party could participate in the September election in Osun as the successful registration came after the deadline for submission of candidates.
“However, since the commission has closed nomination for the Osun State governorship election holding on September 22, 2018, none of you can sponsor a candidate for that election”, the Chairman said.
The list of the newly political parties is as follows:
S/N NAME OF ASSOCIATION ACRONYM
1. Advanced Alliance Party AAP
2. Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party ANDP
3. African Action Congress AAC
4. Alliance for a United Nigeria AUN
5. Alliance of Social Democrats ASD
6. Alliance National Party ANP
7. Allied People’s Movement APM
8. Alternative Party of Nigeria APN
9. Change Nigeria Party CNP
10. Congress of Patriots COP
11. Liberation Movement LM
12. Movement for Restoration and Defence of Democracy MRDD
13. Nigeria Community Movement Party NCMP
14. Nigeria for Democracy NFD
15. Peoples Coalition Party PCP
16. Reform and Advancement Party RAP
17. Save Nigeria Congress SNC
18. United Patriots UP
19. United Peoples Congress UPC
20. We The People of Nigeria WTPN
21. YES Electorates Solidarity YES
22. Youth Party YP
23. Zenith Labour Party