Category: Politics | Posted date: 2018-08-07 16:18:46 | Updated date: 2018-08-09 18:36:11 | Posted by: Mercy-Babs News
Atiku completely condemned the atrocity and called on all those involved to put Nigeria first and abandon this madness
Former Vice-president and 2019 presidential aspirant, Atiku Abubakar has reacted to the siege laid on Federal lawmakers and journalists at Nigerian National Assembly complex on Tuesday by the masked Operatives of the DSS.
Atiku said he had earlier issued a warning that if what occurred in Benue last week was not checked on time, it would escalate to the federal level. Confirming the potency of his word, he said that what occurred at National Assembly today was the result of unheeded warning in play.
In his statement entitled “National Assembly Siege: Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty”, Atiku completely condemned the atrocity and called on all those involved to put Nigeria first and abandon this madness.
Atiku therefore, therefor President Muhammadu Buhari and acting President Yemi Osinbajo to stop hiding behind one finger and live up to their responsibility of upholding the constitution and law and order, which they swore to on May 29, 2015.
Federal lawmakers and journalists were on Tuesday morning prevented from entering the National Assembly by masked operatives of the Department for State Services (DSS).
Some lawmakers including Murray-Bruce (Bayelsa East) were spotted lock outside the main gate of the assembly complex.
Though, the National Assembly is on recess until September 26. But reports say a Senate President Bukola Saraki’s aid had on Monday announced that the leadership of the National Assembly would be meeting on Tuesday (today) to deliberate on urgent national matters. The notice of the emergency meeting came hours after the senior special assistant to the president on national assembly matters Ita Enang pleaded with the leadership of the national assembly to reconvene to attend urgent issues such as the 2019 elections budget.
Enang had opined there might be a complete government shut down if the Assembly was not reconvened.
“So, there may be a complete government shut down and I know Nigerians will not like it; that is why we are appealing to the National Assembly to reconvene,” Enang said.
Reacting to the urgent need for the house to reconvene, the spokesman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), said the call for the National Assembly to resume before the September 26 earlier scheduled was part of APC led-government to create anarchy and impeach the president of the Senate, Saraki, who recently defected to the PDP.